Preamble to the Constitution of the United States
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
This is like a mission statement for a business or organization — a written statement of an organization’s core purpose and focus that remains unchanged over time. And what an organization our United States is! It is the epitome of a community that surpasses all others. Of course there are trials and tribulations, agendas and disappointments, disagreements and imperfections.
What country do most people yearn to go to? Our United States of America—for all its blemishes we are doing something right. Freedom may be our greatest asset. We are free to speak, to think, to lead our lives as we deem best.
Purpose (mission) of the Union of the United States:
- Establish Justice means that all people are to be ruled by the laws of their states or country that helps keep people safe and keeps certain rules, about what people are supposed to do and not supposed to do, are protected.
- Insure domestic Tranquility means to make sure that everything in your country, or domestically, is running smooth; to maintain order at home.
- Provide for the common defense means that the protection of the United States, its citizens, and property, is the responsibility of the federal government, and not of individual states or of the insular areas under the jurisdiction of the United States.
- Promote the general Welfare as a basic guideline, indicates that the governing authority, as mentioned in the (constitutional) document, will have the power to make such laws which would promote the general welfare of the people.
- Secure blessings of Liberty means it is the government’s job to follow the constitution and secure the blessings of liberty for the people to protect their right as citizens of the nation.
To ourselves and our Posterity.
Stand up and be proud of our country. Focus on our bright and positive qualities and strive to solve our problems. Engage with your community and compromise on resolutions for the greater good—what is best for our United States of America.